A nonexempt position serving Indian and non-Indian patients/clientele.
High School diploma or GED required. Required completion of a Medical Assistant program or currently enrolled in a Medical Assistant Program with 6 months or less to graduate. Must have a current Medical Assistant Certification and/or acquire Medical Assistant certification within 6 months of employment. Prefer one year of experience in a healthcare setting, phlebotomy, procedure assistance and injection skills. EMR experience preferred. Typing skills of at least 35 wpm preferred. Current BLS/CPR certification required or willingness to obtain within 3 months of employment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Functions as the NextGen Master on the nurse/provider team, ensuring that provider documentation is complete, accurate, and timely.
- Obtains patients’ complaint/reason for visit using HPI template in EHR.
- Obtains appropriate vital signs, including weights and heights under Nurse Documentation. Also able to recognize normal and abnormal ranges.
- Able to recognize and evaluate changes in patient status and initiate action when appropriate.
- Obtains the appropriate information, specimens, lab results, x-ray results and health history from patients to prepare them for the clinical provider.
- Assists clinicians with procedures, such as minor surgical procedures, and prepares the exam room and instruments for these procedures.
- Performs procedures that are within appropriate scope of practice (for example, tympanography, audiometry, spirometry, administration of medications, venipuncture (blood draws), performing EKG’s, performing vision screening, dressing changes and suture removals.)
- Provides and documents patient education including rationale for medication administration, medication side effects, explanation of medications and procedures, prescription usage and directions, test results.
- Operates and maintains appropriate medical equipment.
- Ensure patient education/teaching plan by patient needs.
- Access resources for referrals as needed and sets up referral appointment for patients if applicable.
- Ensure complete, accurate and timely documentation within the electronic health record including the right patient, right encounter date/time and appropriate provider.
- Able to input vital signs, allergies, medications, Past Medical History, past diagnostic information, Family History, Social History, confidential information, review of systems, update diabetic and/or Coumadin flow sheet, and/or any procedure completed into Next Gen/EHR.
- Other duties as assigned.
|Job Category||Full Time|